If you’re living in a mild climate, you may choose to keep your pool open through the off-season — even if you don’t plan on swimming. If your pool is NOT covered and not used during the winter months, follow these steps to keep your pool water clean and healthy through the cooler months.
Test your pool water with HTH® multi-purpose 6-way test strips or an HTH® 6-way test kit.
Balance the water based on your test results.
Shock the water with HTH® Super Shock according to the instructions on the label.
After 24 hours, add a winterizing dose of your HTH® Super Algae Guard, following label instructions.
Run the filter for 24-48 hours. Brush and vacuum the pool.
Clean the filter with a pool filter cleaner, following filter manufacturer’s directions.
Throughout the Off-season
- Follow good pool cleaning practices throughout the off-season (brushing, skimming, vacuuming as needed).
- Reduce how often the filter runs to about half as often as during the regular swim season.
- Clean the skimmer and pump baskets as needed.
- Monitor the pH, chlorine, total alkalinity and calcium hardness levels and adjust as necessary.
- If you have an automatic feeder, set it on low and check the supply every 2-3 weeks.
Questions? Our HTH® customer care team is here to help year-round. Call 1-866-HTH-POOL.